If you want to know how to analyze Outlook data files, this article will provide you with all the methods to read Outlook files in easy steps.
Outlook is not only an email client; it is used for various other things like scheduling your calendar events, maintaining your contacts, etc.; therefore, this makes it the best program among the users. The software has its own file format to store your data, i.e., PST files. It is also known as Outlook Data Files because it saves all your items, like emails, contacts, calendars, events, etc., and you can use them for future use as well.
Thus, PST files are the only ones you can open and view in Outlook. There is no other program that uses this file format. So, if you want to analyze the files, you can only do it in Outlook. Now, how can you do this? There are methods that you can use. We explain them in more detail.
Methods to Read Outlook Files
Although you can view the files by double-clicking, if you have multiple files, then it is better to use another method. There is an in-built import option in Outlook; by doing this, you can browse and open the PST files. Also, you can drag and drop your files into your Outlook folders. These methods are easy and free, but they don’t have enough options to analyze the files. For this, there is another way: a professional tool, which you can use to examine the content of the files without installing Outlook. Thus, there are three ways to analyze Outlook data files.
- By using the import option, we can open the PST files and read the data.
- Drag and drop PST files in Outlook folders.
- Use the software to analyze the files.
View PST Files in Outlook by Import option
Outlook has a built-in option to import and export PST files. With the help of this option, you can read Outlook files. It has very easy steps; just follow the steps.
- Open the Outlook program and click on Files.
- Select the Open and Export option, and then click on the Import/Export button.
- Now, press Import from another program, then Next.
- Select Outlook data files and browse the location of the files where the data is stored.
- If there is a password assigned for the files, then enter it and click the Import option. Now, you will see the data in your files.
Analyze Outlook Data Files using Drag and Drop Option
In this, you have to first know the location of the files, then move the files to the folder you want.
- Navigate to the location of your PST files, where they are stored.
- After that, go to Outlook and create a new folder, or choose the existing folder in which you want your files.
- Select any one file and drag and drop it into the folder you want. Repeat this step to drag all the files into the same folder.
Both are free-to-use methods, but they will only be applicable if you have an Outlook program. If you don’t have the software, then you have to use another method. Not only that, but there are other limitations to these methods.
Drawbacks of Manual Methods
- These methods are time-consuming, as you have to physically move all the files.
- It has no advanced options to analyze Outlook Data Files.
- If your files are password protected and you forget the password, then you cannot access the data in the files.
- There are chances of losing your data during the process.
Thus, these are the points that make manual methods unreliable options. So, if you are also facing the same problems, then the next method will help you.
Professional Method to Read Outlook Files
We use this method to analyze Outlook data files because it doesn’t require an Outlook installation to open your files. In this, we use a great PST File Viewer Tool by FreeViewer to open, view, read, and analyze the content of the PST files. Once you have added your PST files, the software automatically loads your data and displays it in front of you. From there, you will see the data and do in-depth analysis; furthermore, there are other additional features as well.
Features of Software
- You can read bulk PST files in one turn.
- There are various preview modes to view your files in HEX, HTML, MIME, RTF, etc.
- It smoothly provides previews of your contacts, calendars, and other items.
- The tool offers a complete view of your PST files with attachments.
- You can read damaged, corrupt, and password-protected files easily.
Steps to View PST Files
- Download and install the software. click on the Add File button.
- Click on the Browse option from Select File to navigate to the location where your files are.
- Open the PST file and click on Advance Scan if you have corrupt files.
- Now, you can view the files by clicking on them one by one. You can preview the files and see individual items by clicking emails, contacts, calendars, etc.
Reading Outlook files is a very easy job if you have an Outlook program. But what if you don’t have the program installed? This article explains all the ways to import and analyze Outlook data files, with or without the program. Here, the methods are manual and professional; both are good ways to open the files, but the professional one will be a better choice.